I create some Bible craft ideas for the website BibleQuizzes.org.uk and one of the ones I’ve done recently is these Garden of Eden cookies. As they are also rather tasty, I thought I would share the recipe on this blog too!
The cookies taste nice whatever shape you cut them into – so you don’t have to stick to the Bible theme if it’s not your thing! You will need at least 2 baking sheets, and a variety of cookie cutters. I had a person, heart, 2 flowers, circle and star which meant I could turn it into Adam and Eve, with a heart between them, in a garden of flowers with the moon and stars above.
225g margarine, plus extra for greasing
150g caster sugar
300g self raising flour
50g custard powder
Pinch of salt
100g icing sugar
3 tspns water
Few drops red food colouring
I have attempted to convert this to a US style recipe, but be warned, although it should be pretty much the same, it’s not tried and tested in this format!
1 cup margarine
2/3 cup superfine sugar
2 1/2 cups self rising flour
(or 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 3 3/4 tsps baking powder, 1 1/4 tsp salt)
1/2 cup custard powder
(or 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1 tsp vanilla essence)
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup confectioners/powdered sugar
3 tsps water
Few drops red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, GM4.
- Grease the baking sheets.
- Cream together the sugar and margarine.
- Mix the egg in.
- Using a sieve, add the flour, salt and custard powder.
- Mix up until you have a soft dough that you can handle.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface to about 1/2 cm thick.
- Cut out your cookies and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- When cold, make the icing (frosting).
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, and stir in the water and food colouring.
- Decorate your cookies using a greaseproof paper piping bag
- Let the icing set before eating.
Enjoy making this fun and easy recipe with your kids!